July 30, 2008

Facing the Giants


This past Sunday in Sunday School, we covered Numbers 13 and 14, but mostly Numbers 13:30-33. Its the part where Moses had sent 10 men, one from each tribe, to scout out Canaan. Only 2 of the 10 believed in God and His power to over come the giants in that land. The other 8 relied on their own skill and control. And at the mention of their own need to control and unbelief, I was struck. I have the same problem as those 8 men, but I didn't want to believe it. I saw how those men were so self-centered and not God-centered. I don't want to be that way. I don't want a pivotal part of history to happen again. Weren't those 40 years of wandering enough?
The Sunday School leader brought up the fact that God never promised a conflict free world. Giants will always be in our paths, but God has a plan to use us to overcome them. Joshua and Caleb saw the giants that filled the land of Canan, but they trusted in the Lord that if His will be done, then they were to go into the land and God would take care of the rest.
I talked to my mom this morning and she told me of how David threw the stone into Goliath's head. The natural law of physics says Goliath should have fallen backward wit
h the impact of the stone from the front, BUT Goliath didn't fall backwards in the Bible. He fell forward, proving God killed Goliath. David just had to throw the stone for God to use it, and to ultimately test David's faith.
I want to be like David, Joshua, and Caleb. I want to trust in the Lord with all my heart, mind, soul and strength. We must face the giants with faith in the Lord, and He will protect us and guide us.
When at e-camps, I was able to take pictures of the recs, including Sliding Rock and Turtleback Falls. Those both deal with natural water, which I happen to not ever swim, sit, or even be around. I wish I had read these passages and had these discussions before I went. I missed out on a faith-filled experience. It shocked me that these children would have enough courage to jump off rocks and slide into freezing water. 
That would be a giant for me. But I guess sometimes you have to step out in faith, take a plunge, and let God do His work.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm. Somewhere, I know I have pictures of a certain Sarah Anne in the days of her childhood, IN THE WATER at Sliding Rock. It was her momma that was too chicken to go in. That confident child is still in there. Sometimes, she's called to stand on the shore and document the courage of others behind her. :)

Unknown said...

What? Your mom is commenting AGAIN?

Well, sort of.

I am tagging you. Go read my blog and get the details. :)

Love you bunches!